Speech & Sign Success Center
Location: Bldg. 26B-1551 Phone: (909) 274-6297
The Speech & Sign Success Tutoring Center, or SSSC, is designed to help you succeed in both Speech & Sign classes. We are in 26B-1551 next to the Writing Center.
We offer both in-person and online tutoring! Spring 2023 Hours: Monday through Thursday, 9:00am-6:00pm. Online Zoom access is through a Canvas course that will populate in your Canvas Dashboard once you enroll for the CRN below.
Register in 3 easy steps!
1. Write down the 5-digit CRN (or Course Registration Number) that you will need to enroll. The course is free, non-credit, and does not appear on your transcript!
SPEECH CRN: 43898
SIGN CRN: 43899
2. IMPORTANT: Log into your Registration page on the Mt. SAC Student Portal by clicking the Portal Registration button below. Then: Be Sure To Choose The Correct Term! Finally, Enter the 5-digit CRN from above and submit. Note: If you are asked for an Add Code, you have not chosen the correct term.
Meet with a Tutor (SPCH and SIGN)
We have tutors available in the Center to help you with your SPCH and SIGN needs. Walk in and meet with a drop-in tutor who can help if there is no wait. Or, simply schedule an appointment at our front desk. If you are unable to come to campus to make an appointment in the Center, contact us during our business hours. Just call (909) 274-6297 and speak with one of our staff members. Please note, we cannot take appointments via voicemail messages left by students. You either need to come in or speak with a staff member over the phone. Can't come to campus at all? Visit the SSSC Canvas Shell (in your Canvas Dashboard) once you have signed-up using the CRN listed on this page. You will be able to meet with tutors using Zoom during select times listed.
Tutoring (SPCH and SIGN)
We are here to support your success in your Speech and Sign Classes. The most common classes we tutor for are SPCH 1A, SPCH 2, and SIGN 101-105, but if you need help in another Speech or Sign class, please inquire. Below is some of what we can help you with for your classes.
- Topic Selection
- Main Point Development
- Source Citation
- Visual Aids
- DLA feedback
- Test Preparation
- Videos and Tutor Feedback on Submitted Videos
Workshops (SPCH and SIGN)
Each semester, the SSSC offers multiple workshops on topics aimed at assisting students in the speechmaking process. Additionally, SIGN offers level-specific and topic-specific workshops each semester.
We currently have DLAs available for SIGN 101-103.
- Video Rooms: The Speech and Sign Success Center has four video rooms for practice, recording, and tutoring.
- Computers and Printing: The SSSC has touch screen PC computers with recording capability and Microsoft word. We have one printing computer. Students are permitted to print up to five pages a day for free.
- Study Areas: We have limited table space that will allow you to work on assignments, plug in your charging device, or work with a peer to do homework.
- Ties and Bow Ties to Borrow: The SSSC has ties that you can borrow to wear during your presentation. Just leave your Mt. SAC ID card while you have the tie checked out.
Faculty Coordinator Contact Info:
Franklin Reynolds, Coordinatior/SPCH firstname.lastname@example.org
Yvonne Moreno, Coordinator/SIGN email@example.com
Office phone: (909) 274-6297 (Please note, Coordinators are not full-time and may not be able to be reached at this number every hour we are open)
Building 26B - Room 1551